Farewell for a new day will move from Cape Mulinuu to Cape Taputapu

Sim-Smith, Mark Mark.Sim-Smith at airnz.co.nz
Wed Aug 17 00:54:37 UTC 2011

> The law has apparently been passed:

> http://www.samoaobserver.ws/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34103&Itemid=62

> It appears that they will simply skip 30 Dec 2011 and move from the end of
> 29 Dec 2011 at UTC-11 to the beginning of 31 Dec 2011 UTC+13.  I'd try to > be more precise but I'd probably get it wrong, and time zone calculations > always make my head hurt :P.  I think Tim above has it correct.

I have been in contact with Leilani Tuala Warren from the Samoa Law Reform Commission, and she has sent me a copy of the Bill that she confirmed has been passed:

Leilani Tuala Warren wrote Wed 17/08/2011 12:36 p.m.:
> Hi Mark,
>
> Yes we have the International Dateline Act 2011 which just got passed by
> parliament. I don't have the Act but this Bill became the Act.
>
> I have attached it to this email.
>
> Kind regards
>
> Lani

Most of the sections are about maps rather than the time zone change, but I'll paste the relevant bits below.  But the essence is that at midnight 29 Dec (UTC-11 I suppose), Samoa changes from UTC-11 to UTC+13:

International Date Line Bill 2011

AN ACT to provide for the change to standard time in Samoa and to make consequential amendments to the position of the International Date Line, and for related purposes.

BE IT ENACTED by the Legislative Assembly of Samoa in Parliament assembled as follows:

1. Short title and commencement-(1) This Act may be cited as the International Date Line Act 2011.
(2) Except for section 5(3) this Act commences at 12 o'clock midnight, on Thursday 29th December 2011.
(3) Section 5(3) commences on the date of assent by the Head of State.

[snip]

3. Interpretation -
[snip]
"Samoa standard time" in this Act and any other statute of Samoa which refers to 'Samoa standard time' means the time 13 hours in advance of Co-ordinated Universal Time.

4. Samoa standard time - (1) Upon the commencement of this Act, Samoa standard time shall be set at 13 hours in advance of Co-ordinated Universal Time for the whole of Samoa.
(2) All references to Samoa's time zone and to Samoa standard time in Samoa in all legislation and instruments after the commencement of this Act shall be references to Samoa standard time as provided for in this Act.
(3) Nothing in this Act affects the provisions of the Daylight Saving Act 2009, except that it defines Samoa standard time.

5. International Date Line -
[snip]
(3) The Government of Samoa shall consult with relevant mapping and charting authorities regarding the change in Samoa standard time and the consequential moving of the International Date Line.

[snip]
Good planets are hard to find - please think of the environment before you print this email.
error please notify Air New Zealand immediately. Any views expressed
necessarily reflect the views of Air New Zealand.