FW: Fingerprinting timezones

Mark Davis ☕ mark at macchiato.com
Tue Aug 9 14:05:38 UTC 2011

If someone is using a particular version of the TZ database, you can probe
about 5-6 past dates to discover the zone id (of course, you can't
distinguish the zones that have the same rules). We do that in browsers,
where there isn't an API to get the zone.

Where the browser isn't using the TZ database (eg windows), you'll just get
an approximation.

Mark
*— Il meglio è l’inimico del bene —*