[tz] What license IANA is intending to distribute the timezone database under, BSD or public domain

Mike Frysinger vapier at gentoo.org
Sat Dec 3 09:59:26 UTC 2011

On Friday 02 December 2011 18:47:44 David Magda wrote:
> The current license is the public domain

"public domain" isn't a license.  it boils down to nothing -- you can do
whatever you want since there is no copyright.
	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_Domain

> so I'm not sure if it's possible to change it

licenses are often based on copyright (e.g. BSD/GPL), and if there are no
copyrights on the file, anyone can d/l the tarballs, make trivial modifications,
add their own copyright onto i,t and thus put it under their own license.
-mike