[tz] Adding Asia/Beijing timezone into the database

Daoming Qiu qdaoming at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 10:37:09 UTC 2011

Thanks for all your information.

The fact that this issue has been discussed so many times reflects
that what the user prefers,
and this unreasonable point in the current tz database.
If this issue has not been fixed, it will continue to be raised in the future.

I browsed through the list archive, and I don't agree with the discussion point.
- The timezones listed in the tz database are important and directly
referenced by many kinds of applications.
 Requiring applications to do specific mapping (Asia/Shanghai->
Beijing)  is not good.
- Using New_York/Washington_DC as selection example, to determine
Shanghai/Beijing selection is not good.
 Both city pairs are quite different.
- For a long time(at least recent 100 years), Beijing is used time
reference point, and Shanghai seldom.
I know that tz database uses city's population as the only selection
criteria, but there should be other aspects weighs. tz database should
listen to the voice of the user to be more REASONABLE.

Thanks,
Daoming