[tz] Adding Asia/Beijing timezone into the database

Random832 random832 at fastmail.us
Sun Dec 11 19:28:13 UTC 2011

On 12/9/2011 1:17 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
> Who are the "users" of the time zone database? The time zone names are
> not intended to be directly presented to users other than UN*X
> command-line users who are directly setting the TZ environment variable.

Maybe this should be better explained to developers who write time zone
selection tools.

Also, a map with points corresponding to only the cities has the same
problem as presenting the names. Really, the shape data should be
incorporated into the project. (along with some guidance on what to do
when shape data causes problems for disputed borders... which may not be
a problem for the project itself, but can be for distributors; Microsoft
ran into this with a disputed border and Windows 95 was almost banned in
India.)
> Perhaps there should also be a database giving names to tz database
> entries for human use - to use your earlier example, "Beijing,
> Chongqing, HongKong, Urumuqi" for Asia/{whatever city is used}

In fact, such a database does exist, and Asia/Shanghai's entry in it is
"CN / east China - Beijing, Guangdong, Shanghai, etc." (And,
incidentally, Chongqing, Hong_Kong, and Urmuqui are all separate
timezones, so I think you misunderstood something)