How about adding UN/LOCODE in zone.tab?

yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com yoshito_umaoka at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 4 23:07:19 UTC 2011

Paul Koning <paul_koning at dell.com> wrote on 02/04/2011 05:14:39 PM:

> From: Paul Koning <paul_koning at dell.com>
> To: <tz at lecserver.nci.nih.gov>, Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu>
> Date: 02/04/2011 05:19 PM
> Subject: Re: How about adding UN/LOCODE in zone.tab?
>

> On Feb 4, 2011, at 4:00 PM, Guy Harris wrote:
>

> > On Feb 4, 2011, at 8:35 AM, Ian Abbott wrote:
> >
> >> Including LOCODE in zone.tab may or may not be a good idea, but I'm
> >> trying hard to think why you'd want to encode a time zone in a
> language tag.
> >
> > If by "with a language tag" he means that en-US-u-tz-usnyc" is a
> language tag, yes, that's bogus.
> >
> > If, however, he means that "en-US-u-tz-usnyc" is a locale tag,
> which includes a language tag but can include more information as
> well, that makes sense.  Unfortunately, RFC 6067 calls it a
> "language tag", which is a bogus term for anything that specifies
> time zones, collating orders, and other information that has nothing
> to do with language.
>
> At the risk of going off topic for this list, collating order
> certainly is (largely) a language question.  Not entirely; some
> languages may have a choice of several collating orders based on
> national or cultural differences.
>
> I do agree that timezone is in no way a language related thing.

timezone is not a language related thing. And strictly speaking,
"en-US-u-tz-usnyc" is a BCP 47 language tag representing information used
for identifying a locale.

See the definition of extension subtags in BCP 47 below -

2.2.6.  Extension Subtags

   Extensions provide a mechanism for extending language tags for use in
   various applications.  They are intended to identify information that
   is commonly used in association with languages or language tags but
   that is not part of language identification.  See Section 3.7.  The
   following rules apply to extensions:

Anyway, the definition of language tags or locale identifiers is out of
the scope of this ML. If you have any comments, I'd recommend you to post
your message to CLDR or LTRU mailing list.

-Yoshito