New site with North American Time Zone borders

Chris Walton Chris.Walton at telus.com
Fri Feb 11 17:45:55 UTC 2011

Steve J.,

Back in 2007 I posted a Canadian time zone map in one of the Google Earth forums.
Here is the link to the posting.
http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1024037&site_id=1#import
Make sure you read the entire post and then open the map by clicking on the link at the bottom of the page.
Once the file opens in Google Earth, you will need to press the radio buttons at the left to see the Winter and Summer Time Zone maps.

There are discrepancies between my map and yours but most of them are relatively minor.
The biggest difference is in Eastern Québec; I think you picked up on the fact that Petit-Mécatina territory was officially removed from the Minganie region last year and merged with Basse-Côte-Nord to form the new region of "Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent".  I did not know about this until I started digging into it this morning.
I guess we should assume that Petit-Mécatina is now on AST year round as you have indicated.
I will nit-pick by pointing out that the new border between Minganie and Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent is not as straight as the line you have drawn on your map; it is supposed to follow the Natashquan River.

For anybody else interested in Québec time zone boundaries here is a summary of events between 2006 and 2010:

In 2006 the Québec government updated the time Act such that there were four time zone regions in the province:
1: Îles-de-la-Madeleine:
    UTC-4(winter)/UTC-3(summer)  AST/ADT
2: Listiguj Indian Reservation:
    UTC-4(winter)/UTC-3(summer)  AST/ADT
3: all areas lying west of 63 degrees and the entire Minganie Region:
    UTC-5(winter)/UTC-4(summer)  EST/EDT
4: all other areas lying east of 63 degrees (namely Basse-Côte-Nord a.k.a. Lower North Shore):
    UTC-4(winter&summer)         AST/AST

The National Research Council of Canada and Natural Resources Canada never updated the official Canadian time zone maps; they remain out of date today.
But the Québec government released this helpful map. It has a date of April 28/2009.
http://www.justice.gouv.qc.ca/english/publications/generale/temps-minganie-a.htm
Note: all maps released by the Québec government show the Labrador border to be further north than it is on maps produced by the Canadian Federal government.

On July 7/2010 Petit-Mécatina territory was was transferred from the Minganie Region and merged with Basse-Côte-Nord to form a new region named "Golfe-du-Saint-Laurent".
If we stick with the wording of the 2006 Time Act, we can assume that on July 7/2010 Petit-Mécatina moved back to being on AST year round (same as it was prior to 2006).  With an area of about 40,000km this is a significant change on a time zone map but with a population of precisely zero, it impacts nobody except the map makers.

-chris