New site with North American Time Zone borders

Steve Jones stevejones at spjones.com
Sat Feb 12 00:42:26 UTC 2011

At 11:45 2/11/2011, Chris Walton wrote:
>Back in 2007 I posted a Canadian time zone map
>in one of the Google Earth forums.

Chris:

Very nice!  My implementation of the kml version
is much less ambitious, but I hope to keep it at
least accurate.  I'm very grateful for the
feedback on my errors and I will roll it into my next release.

I've also mimicked your shape for the east
Kootenays for my next release.  Are you certain
that the border from just north of Riondel to
Glacier NP lies to the east of the lake road?  I
had it running through the lake and then up the
Duncan river from there.  I can't recall where I got that.

I also had the border of the no-DST area of BC
near Dawson Creek drawn a bit too far
north.  That line bisects Hwy 97 twice, once
between Chetwynd and McLeod Lake, and again just
south of Sikanni.  I wish I knew the precise
coordinates of those two transitions.  Do you happen to have that?

>I guess we should assume that Petit-Mécatina is
>now on AST year round as you have indicated.

Interesting that the Quebec/Labrador border
between Blanc-Sablon and L'anse-au-Clair is
apparently a 90 minute transition in the summer
time when it separates Atlantic Standard from
Newfoundland Daylight.  I can't recall running
into any other instances of a border transition
being over 60 minutes.  It must be very confusing
keeping the ferry departure/arrival times
straight for the St. Barbe / Blanc Sablon ferry.

Thanks again.

Cheers,

Steve Jones
OnTimeZone.com