Macau

jrl jrl at terraatlas.com
Tue Feb 22 13:19:26 UTC 2011

I don't think I made myself clear...

According to the documentation, the Rule says that the time change ran ends on the Sunday before the 15th for the years 1978, 1979, and 1980.   The documentation should indicate what you say is true:

Rule    Macau   1978    1980    -       Oct     Sun>=15 0:00    0       -

I read the line above as follows:

In October 1980, the rule changed to standard time.  So at this point, refer to the Zone.

The Zone says:
                        8:00    Macau   MO%sT   1999 Dec 20 # return to China

Meaning use the Macau rules until Dec 20, 1999

There are no Macau Rules after October of 1980.

SO... in my mind it means we revert to the overall rule of the Zone for that period.  The Zone says it is in effect from 1912 through 1999 - use Macau rules.   If there are no rules, then revert back to the rule of the Zone.

That makes you correct in that the Zone is 8:00 offset from GMT not 7:34:20 LMT.

What doesn't make sense if why a set of Rules is used that ends prior to the end of the period used by the zone.  It's a moot point but it confuses the flow.

Perhaps a "max" in place of the 1980 would make this more clear.  It would not interrupt the flow because the Zone says ignore Macau after 1999.  The max is used elsewhere.  Why is it NOT used here?