proposed time zone package changes (Hawaii, stack overflow, et al.)

Bill Seymour stdbill.h at pobox.com
Wed Jan 12 23:19:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Han, Aimin
<Aimin.Han at morganstanley.com> wrote:
> Dear friends, can anybody tell me how to read the tz database programmatically?
> Any help documents out there?
>
> Thanks!
> Aimin

If you mean the source files,

1) I wrote a paper ( http://www.cstdbill.com/tzdb/tz-how-to.html ),
mostly for my own benefit, explaining how /H. sapiens/ can read
the files.  (I think I got it right...if I made any mistakes, I'd love to
hear about them from the experts, which I'm not.)  Of course,
the Hawai'i example was written before the changes that ADO
just announced. 8-)

2) I wrote a paper ( http://www.cstdbill.com/tzdb/db.html ) suggesting
one way to put tz data in a SQL database.  If you click on the link
to Appendix B, you'll get to some links to an open-source library in
C++ that parses the Zone, Rule and Link lines and loads the data
into standard-library collections.

If you mean the data files,

3) I made an HTML table ( http://www.cstdbill.com/tzdb/tzfile-format.html ),
again mostly for my own understanding, that shows the format of tz's
binary files.  As with 1) above, I'd appreciate knowing about it if any
expert sees something that I got wrong.

HTH,

--Bill Seymour