Israel Daylight Saving Time -- Minister Proposes Extension

Ephraim Silverberg ephraim at cse.huji.ac.il
Mon Jun 6 08:24:21 UTC 2011

> Just how to calculate these 193 days, noone in the Interior Ministry
> (both the ministry's spokeswomen and the Knesset's interior committee
> office) could tell me.
>
> Based on reports from various news agencies, it would seem that the
> intent is to start DST on the first Friday after the vernal equinox
> (March 21) until the first Sunday after October 1.  In 2011, this gives
> 191 days of DST.

The proposal is beginning to become clearer:

DST will start on the Friday before the last Sunday of March and will
end on the first Sunday after October 1.  If this Sunday falls on a
Jewish holiday, DST will be extended until the morning after the holiday.

Thus in 2012, DST would start on March 23 and, since October 7 falls
in the middle of the Jewish holiday of Sukkot, would end on October 9.

I imagine that the proposal will be refined and revised before being
tabled in the Knesset so I will report back when I get something in
writing from the Ministry of Interior.
Ephraim Silverberg, CSE System Group,        Phone number:    972-2-6585521
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel.        Fax number:      972-2-5617723
WWW: http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~ephraim       E-mail: ephraim at cse.huji.ac.il