proposed time zone package changes (Russia, Curacao)

Paul Koning paul_koning at Dell.com
Thu Jun 16 20:03:36 UTC 2011

On Jun 16, 2011, at 3:08 PM, Philip Newton wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 16, 2011 at 19:28, Mark Davis ☕ <mark at macchiato.com> wrote:
>> While that is reasonable, I know that it makes it (surprisingly) difficult
>> for translators when most of what they are translating are cities, and then
>> suddenly a country pops up. And many of the existing identifiers also would
>> be much more recognizable if they were countries. Moreover, the country
>> information is always available in the zones file anyway.
>> So it is simpler and more predictable if it is cities wherever possible.
>
> Also, isn't the rationale that countries tend to come and go, while
> cities tend to stay around (and tend to keep their name more
> consistently than countries do)?

I'm not sure that is true.  In any case, it's not a compelling argument, because timezone rules are political constructs.  So they are associated with countries, not cities (to the extent that cities != countries).

	paul