Dry Tortugas is Central or Eastern Time?

Aaron Brown asb110273 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 22:55:39 UTC 2011

I just went to Dry Tortugas National Park last weekend, about 70 miles
west of Key West.  Before going, I had noticed that wikipedia
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Time_Zone#North_America)
mentioned that there was some debate about if the Dry Tortugas were in
the Central or the Eastern time zone.  While there, I went into the
bookstore and asked if there was any truth to them being on Central
Time.  They looked at me as if this was the first they ever heard
about this.  In fact, it doesn't make any sense that they would be on
anything other than Eastern Time as 99% of those visiting there are
arriving via Key West, which is on Eastern Time.  So, I went and
modified the wikipedia page to remove the apparent misinformation
about Dry Tortugas possibly being on Central Time.  I then did a
google search and came up with a couple of pages
(http://keywestseaplanecharters.com/Tips-Secrets/default.asp,
http://www.mendosa.com/fitnessblog/?p=6947) claiming that they are
officially on Central Time, but that Eastern Time is used there.  Is
there any truth to Dry Tortugas being officially on Central Time?  Did
they used to be on Central Time in the past?

Aaron