Standard Time Zones & Local Mean Time

Gwillim Law RLAW at nc.rr.com
Sat May 7 14:55:57 UTC 2011

These are complex questions, hinging on subjective interpretations of the
terms involved, such as "general acceptance". The book "Greenwich Time and
Longitude", by Derek Howse, has a lot of information about standard time in
Great Britain. For example, he writes (pp. 114-15) that in 1858, a court
decided that legal time "must be understood as the mean time at the place
where" an event occurs, "and not Greenwich time, unless it be so expressed."
Prior to that, there had been "nothing on the statute book to define what
was the time for legal purposes" -- but at that date "98% of the public
clocks in Great Britain were set to GMT." On August 2, 1880, it finally
became law that "[w]henever any expression of time occurs in any Acts of
Parliament, deed, or other legal instrument, the time referred shall, unless
it is otherwise specifically stated, be held in the case of Great Britain to
be Greenwich mean time, and in the case of Ireland, Dublin mean time."
(Copyrighted material, quoted under fair use.) So perhaps that answers part
of your inquiry. You may have to hit the books in a good library if you want
more complete answers.

Gwillim Law