Fwd: Improvement request: Concordia Station timezone

Aurelien Jarno aurelien at aurel32.net
Sun May 8 22:00:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

Please find below a mail from Paolo Perfetti, asking to create a new
timezone for the Concordia station in Antartica. It seems there are
already a few stations in the antartica file, so I guess it's possible
to add a new entry.

What information would be needed for that? He is Cc:ed to this mail,
so don't hesitate to ask him more details directly.

Thanks,
Aurelien

On Tue, May 03, 2011 at 06:19:26PM +0800, Paolo Perfetti wrote:
> Hi all,
> my name is Paolo Perfetti and I'm currently working as sysadmin in
> Antarctica for the Italian Antarctic Research Program (PNRA) in a base
> called Concordia Station. Since 2005 this station, located at 75.06S
> 123.20E,  is one of the 3 station always active trough the year inside
> the Antarctic Continent (the others are South Pole and Vostok).
>
> I'm a Debian-GNU\Linux strong supporter and while I was configuring my
> pc and servers here I find out that Concordia Station doesn't appear
> between the options available configuring the tzdata package. It will be
> possible to add this timezone to the next package version? In that case
> what info do you need to do that? I will be pleased to help you to
> collect the needed informations. In the meanwhile I can tell you
> that the station keeps UTC+8 (Perth) timezone without any daylight
> hour.
>
> In Antarctica there is also another Italian base, Mario Zucchelli
> Station, located in the Terranova Bay, quite near McMurdo. MZS is active
> during the Antarctic summer since more than 20 years, it will be
> possible to add this too ? In this case, the timezone is the same of
> McMurdo.
>
> Currently here we've no connection to surf the web, but you can find
> lot more informations on these bases on wikipedia and I am available
> for any kind of informations you'll need (I will be in Concordia at
> least until 7th November, the end of winterover season).
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Paolo
>

> --

Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73
aurelien at aurel32.net                 http://www.aurel32.net

To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-glibc-REQUEST at lists.debian.org