[tz] Reading binary files

Christos Zoulas christos at zoulas.com
Wed Nov 2 16:51:44 UTC 2011

On Nov 2, 10:58am, Thom at pointsix.com ("Thom Hehl") wrote:
-- Subject: Re: [tz] Reading binary files

| Not if you are writing applications that need high performance
| processing of multiple timezones and access from multiple languages and
| platforms. Besides, we're multi-threaded. Changing environment variables
| is simply not an option. Yikes! Can you say race condition.

I submitted a patch to the list that makes all the functions thread-safe
and multi-timezone friendly more than a year ago. I've committed the patch
to the NetBSD tree together with documentation:

    http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/lib/libc/time/?only_with_tag=MAIN

I have also added glibc compatibility for mktime() in the DST gap.

Enjoy,

christos