[tz] Thread-safe localtime(3) (was Re: Reading binary files)

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Thu Nov 3 09:01:25 UTC 2011

Garrett Wollman said:
> I would very much like to see this happen.  The only quibble I would
> make with Christos's proposed API is that, because C does not have
> incomplete typedefs,

Huh? Of course C has incomplete typedefs.

    typedef struct fred jim;

    struct fred
    {
        int sheila;
    };

is perfectly legal code.

> Using
> such typedefs creates undesirable ordering dependencies between
> headers (not a problem for the Implementation but definitely a problem
> for applications if they want to minimize namespace pollution).

There are various ways to fix this. Note that C already requires that all
standard headers can be included in any order even when there are
dependencies between them.

(I haven't seen the proposal, so I may be misunderstanding what you're
getting at. If so, please explain.)

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.