[tz] Australian time zone abbreviations

Eliot Lear lear at cisco.com
Mon Nov 7 13:25:40 UTC 2011

Two questions:

1.  What does the man on the street in Australia think? AEST or EST?
2.  What, if anything, would break if things were changed?

My own suggestion would be that unless there is a real consensus and
demand for the change, the TZ community should be conservative about
this sort of thing, lest we discover unintended side-effects.  In this
case, I can't imagine what they'd be because we'd be going from an
ambiguous term to something that is probably also ambigous (haven't
checked), but still, who knows what's in the mind of some script writer
somewhere...

Eliot