[tz] Decoding timezone data

Clive D.W. Feather clive at davros.org
Tue Nov 8 12:14:25 UTC 2011

Zefram said:
>> As an aside, maybe tzfile.5 should use exact-width integer type names
>> from C99 stdint.h, such as "int32_t" instead of "long".

One issue is that the exact-width integer types don't exist on all systems
and so aren't required by C99.

> I think it would make more sense to excise the C terminology in favour
> of file format terminology: "four-byte big-endian signed integer".

"octet", not "byte", please. I do much of my day job on a machine with a 16
bit byte, and the rest on a machine with a 24 bit byte.

--
Clive D.W. Feather          | If you lie to the compiler,
Email: clive at davros.org     | it will get its revenge.