[tz] Another mirror + mirror shell script

Sebastian Majstorovic sebastian at appealingapps.de
Sun Oct 9 02:18:13 UTC 2011

This morning Øyvind Holm wrote me an E-Mail and told me, that he had used my ftp sync script to set up his own mirror at http://tzmirror.sunbase.org, which I think is beautifully made.
He put on a nice index page, very well structured, with a brief summary of what's going on at the moment.
Additionally to hosting the tz database files, he included a git mirror of the svn repository on Google Code and put all tz database files in a git repository so people could download the all tz database files in one step.

While reading this mail the idea struck me that we could use a git repository for providing a one-click mirror setup and keeping all mirrors around the world in sync.
Here's the result:

http://github.com/canbuffi/tzmirror

Anyone who wants to set up his own mirror only needs to clone this repository - and the mirror is ready to go.
All tz database files, the git mirror of the svn repository and the nice index page are set up in one step.

Of course I didn't want to host tz data in the US and maybe cause even more trouble, so I hosted them separately on gitorious.org - the company and the servers are based in Norway.
Hosted on github is only the skeleton repository for the mirror. During the setup of the mirror the tz data is downloaded directly from Norway:

http://gitorious.org/tz/tzfiles (tz database files)
http://gitorious.org/tz/tzdata (git mirror of svn repository)

With one more simple command people can also let their mirrors regularly check for changes.
So when a new tz version is published to 'ftp://munnari.oz.au/pub/oldtz/' by Robert Elz, we can simply update the tzfiles repository on gitorious and all mirrors around the world will be in sync within one day.

If you want to have a look on how the mirror websites look - mine is already setup:

http://tzmirror.appealingapps.de

Greetings
Sebastian