[tz] Source material used by ACS atlas book editions

Alois Treindl alois at astro.ch
Fri Oct 7 15:03:13 UTC 2011

Stephen

I don't quite understand why you fear this, but I am not a lawyer and
not familiar with US law.

I will use other channels for such contributions, if there should be any.

As material for Olson's and Eggert's defense I think these quotes of
Shanks's sources are relevant. Later (current) editions of the books  do
no longer mention any sources, only the old editions do. They confirm in
writing that Shanks copied most of his data from other published sources.

Knowledge of the sources will make it rather easy to clean up TZ files
from quotes of Shanks.

I think personally that no such cleanup should happen. The lawsuit
should be fought and will be won by Olson and Eggert, as their use they
make of Shanks' data is fully legitimate.