[tz] A history maintaining repository for tzdata

Kevin Lyda kevin at ie.suberic.net
Sat Oct 8 23:05:55 UTC 2011

On Sat, Oct 8, 2011 at 22:46, Jonathan Leffler
<jonathan.leffler at gmail.com> wrote:
> I don't know if it is any help, but I have a modest (but by no means
> complete) collection of the TZ code and data tar files dating back to 2002
> (nowhere near 1986, but better than nothing).

Thanks, but I have all these.

I've also got most if not all the releases between 1986 and 1993 on
mod.sources/comp.sources.unix.  The first release I have was on Fri
Mar  7 17:43:08 -0500 1986 by elsie!ado.  It's from here:

http://groups.google.com/group/mod.sources/msg/f72eb180696d86d3?dmode=source&output=gplain

I'm not sure if there were previous changes.  These are the SCCS
keywords from the files in the shar:

asia: # @(#)asia        2.1
australasia: # @(#)australasia  2.1
etcetera: # @(#)etcetera        2.1
europe: # @(#)europe    2.1
Makefile: # @(#)Makefile        2.1
mkdir.c: static char    sccsid[] = "@(#)mkdir.c 7.2";
northamerica: # @(#)northamerica        2.1
pacificnew: # @(#)pacificnew    2.1
README: @(#)README      2.1
scheck.c: static char   sccsid[] = "@(#)scheck.c        7.9";
settz.3: .. @(#)settz.3 2.1
settz.c: static char    sccsid[] = "@(#)settz.c 2.1";
strchr.c: static char   sccsid[] = "@(#)strchr.c        7.3";
tzcomp.8: .. @(#)tzcomp.8       2.1
tzcomp.c: static char   sccsid[] = "@(#)tzcomp.c        2.1";
tzdump.c: static char   sccsid[] = "@(#)tzdump.c        2.1";
tzfile.5: .. @(#)tzfile.5       2.1
tzfile.h: /* @(#)tzfile.h       2.1 */
years.sh: : '@(#)years.sh       2.1'

SCCS revision identifiers (SIDs) are of the form
release.revision[.branch.sequence].  We can ignore the SIDs for
strchr.c, scheck.c and mkdir.c since those came with the system
(BSD?).  But the others imply there was an earlier release.  Perhaps
ado worked in private for a period and then did an sccs get -r2 -e and
an sccs delta on all files just before release?

BTW, it appears that this will work best with the data and the source
in one repo as that's how the releases were originally done.

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda
Dublin, Ireland