[tz] A history maintaining repository for tzdata

Kevin Lyda kevin at ie.suberic.net
Sun Oct 9 10:52:41 UTC 2011

On Sun, Oct 9, 2011 at 10:49, Edwin Groothuis <edwin at mavetju.org> wrote:
> As somebody who manages the zoneinfo data for the FreeBSD
> project, yes packaged data releases are much easier to track than
> checking the git repo manually, then not knowing which version of
> the imported data is currently used on the system and how it related
> to the git "revision" numbers.

Absolutely.  For end-users the tarballs have to continue to exist and
be released.  As for git revision numbers I label every commit with a
tag.  For the tzcode/tzdata commits I use the tarball name; for the
mod.sources/comp.sources.unix releases I use the id assigned by the
newsgroup (except for the first(?) which didn't have one).

Kevin

--
Kevin Lyda
Dublin, Ireland