[tz] Newbie

Alan Barrett apb at cequrux.com
Fri Oct 21 12:55:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, 21 Oct 2011, Thom Hehl wrote:
>OK, I run my timezone database under windows, so, after a couple of
>tries, I got the code I downloaded from the TZ database site to compile
>under windows.
>
>Now what? I looked at the HTML files and there's no readme or anything
>else that looks like documentation on how to use it.

Most of the documentation is in Unix man page format.  If you
can't read man pages under Windows, look at the corresponding text
files (e.g. tzfile.5.txt instead of just tzfile.5).

date.1 documents a command line utility that can display or change
the system date and time in any known timezone, but it probably
won't work under Windows.

newtzset.3, newctime.3, newstrftime.3, and time2posiz.3 document
library functions that are callable from C programs.  Some parts
of these may be usable under Windows, but other parts rely on
operating system features that will probably be different.

tzfile.5 documents the format of the compiled binary timezone
files.

zic.8 documents the command line untility that compiles the
human-readable specifications of time zone rules into binary
format.

zdump.8 documents the command lile utility that extracts and
displays information from compiled time zone descriptions.

tzselect.8 documents an interactive ksh script that can help users
to choose time zone settings.

--apb (Alan Barrett)