[tz] Sydney, Australia (and other places) DST indication (or lack thereof)

Willy at willylorenzo.com Willy at willylorenzo.com
Sun Oct 30 00:48:20 UTC 2011

I'm testing my zone conversion process and I thought I could just check the
conversion with the Internet.  So I get local time for Sydney, Australia,
and then check my result with internet searches by searching for "time in
Sydney Australia."

Bing returns
Current time in Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
It is currently 11:31:34 AM on 10/30/2011 (AUS Eastern Daylight Time)

Google returns
11:31am Sunday (EST) - Time in Sydney NSW, Australia

Time oriented sites...

timeanddate.com returns
Sunday, October 30, 2011 at 11:31:34 AM EDT

worldtimeserver.com returns
11:31 AM
Sunday, October 30, 2011
Eastern Daylight Time (EDT) +1100 UTC

(I selected both of those because they're referenced in the australasia
data.)

The two websites returned "EDT", and Bing implies "EDT" with its "Eastern
Daylight Time."  I thought I had a bug, but review of the tz database
clearly states otherwise...it's "EST".  Google was the only one to get it
right (according to the tz database, that is.)

So I'm wondering if anyone knows if there is some unwritten accepted
practice of referring to Australian daylight saving time as EDT in
colloquial speech, even though that labeling doesn't actually exist.  Any
thoughts on the subject are appreciated.