FW: Theory - zone name, zone creation, zone lifetime

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Sun Sep 11 13:52:16 UTC 2011

On 09/11/11 04:18, Olson, Arthur David (NIH/NCI) [E] wrote:

> [...]

Yes, that's where the regions are listed in the database.
There are efforts to list the boundaries of the regions,
but these are outside the scope of the current database.

> Theory reads:
> Use ISO 3166 (see the file iso3166.tab) to help
> decide whether something is a country.
> [...]
> or when locations change countries
> (e.g. Hong Kong from UK colony to China)
>
> Issue:
> 1) "help to decide" - decision process is undefined.

It is not a deterministic algorithm; there are border cases
that require human judgment.

> 2) Hong Kong is listed in iso3166.tab as HK.
> For the purpose of zone creation is it
> 2a) a country,

Yes, that's right.

> Theory reads:
> Within a file name component, use only ASCII letters
>
> Issue:
> 1) It is not defined what the term
> "file name component" refers to in the
> context of zone naming.

A maximal name component that does not contain '/'.

> Theory reads:
> E.g. prefer `Paris' to `France', since
> France has had multiple time zones.
>
> Issue:
> 1) It does not matter what zones France "had" in the past.
> 2) It may matter that Europe/Paris might be split in the future.

Yes, (2) is the point.

> 3) There is no proof in zone.tab that France had
> multiple time zones at all

It did, during both World War I and World War II.  Shanks & Pottenger
partition France into 28 distinct regions.  But this sort of detail
isn't needed in the table.