Re coming Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian timezone change

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 17:16:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 6:50 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 09/23/11 05:52, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>> If calling it permanent summer time in the side note is the issue
>
> It's more than that.  It's that the whole notion of "forward
> time" is questionable.
How so? Isn't it forward with respect to EET?

> There's no need for a new notion that
> means "This location is one hour
> ahead of where it used to be,
> and this is a permanent change."
Says Paul.

> All one needs to say is
> "This location has changed time zones."
This does not look like an abbreviation

> Changing time zones is not that unusual.
> It happens reasonably
> often, and we've dealt with it before.
But ever by using alphabetical order as a justification, as with the
FET proposal "F comes after E"?

All dealings I see where abbreviation change was involved and generic
meaning contained are:
- xMT - mean time
- xST - summer time
- xDT - daylight saving time