UTC as basis for time legislation

Sat Sep 24 01:44:15 UTC 2011

>> ...  But other than that, if you say GMT you mean the same time as if
>> you say UTC.
>
>Uh... you like waving red flags in front of bulls, don't you? Or maybe
>walking up to a bee hive and whacking it with a short stick is your
>idea of a good time. :)

Ouch.  My apologies to the hornets.

I did some reading and I think I now understand some of the subtleties involved.

Let me restate the point I should have made and hopefully not disturb another beehive.

The tzdata uses an approximation of the subtle details of timekeeping.  With those approximations, GMT and UTC end up being described both as having a constant 0 offset.

So if country A says its legal time is an hour ahead of GMT and B says they are an hour ahead of UTC, those are technically different statements.  However, to the approximation of tzdata, the outcome is the same: both country A and B would be shown in the tzdata file as having an offset of 60 minutes.

Is that correct?

	paul