Information wanted #2: Russian Decree #725 vs. tzdata2011k

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 06:39:02 UTC 2011

This decree reduced the number of (internal)
timezones (/chasovyye poyasa/) in Russia. The
boundaries of internal timezones follow the
boundaries of international timezones, roughly,
but get modified by the administrative borders etc.

The USSR spanned 12 zones (2nd to 13th),
however, there were large regions observing, in
fact, the neighbouring timezone's zonal time (on
economical reasons, as I recall). This system
was inherited by Russia after 1991.

Now there are 9 (previously, there were talks of
simplifying the system).

-Yury