Information wanted #1: time zone names in Belarus, Russia, and Ukraine

Yury Tarasievich yury.tarasievich at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 13:02:32 UTC 2011

On 09/27/2011 01:46 PM, Robert Elz wrote:
> What we should really be doing is making it clear to one and all that
> these abbreviations are meaningless, rather than FET or EEFT or BYT or
> anything else, call all the Russian (and related) zones "EST" (they're
> Eastern, with respect to most of Europe anyway, and they have a standard
> time), for no better reason than to make it clear to everyone that the
> abbreviations have no practical purpose, and are better never used, anywhere.

In fact, rather than the abbreviations, I'd
rather see designations based somehow on the
corresponding international timezones
(/chasovyye poyasa/). That's the long
established practice here, after all. Something
like UTC+3 or Z02+1 (w/r to the 0..23 numbering)
would make do nicely both for Belarus and
Ukraine, at least.

But if an abbreviation must exist, after all,
let it be something sensible, like, well, EEFT,
or, in fact, EEET.

-Yury