Re coming Russian-Belarusian-Ukrainian timezone change

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Fri Sep 23 07:54:48 UTC 2011

On Thu, Sep 22, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
> On 09/22/11 12:45, Tobias Conradi wrote:
>> FT for forward time (permanent summer time, e.g. EEFT).
>
> This suggested abbreviation goes too far, I think.
> Then we'd have to decide whether summer time is
> permanent (or not) in many other situations.
What is bad about that? Why shall we decide it here and deviate from
EEST - yes, why not use EEST? - and not do so in other instances.

> I'd rather not have to worry about such things.
> I don't particularly like "FET" either, but at
> least it has the virtue of not claiming to be
> part of a larger organized scheme.
And EEFT at least has the virtue of being part of a larger scheme
(xMT, xST, xDST) that is already defined in the Theory file.

> (I had initially thought of proposing "EEET",
Me too
> for "East of Eastern European Time",
for East(ern) European Eastern Time, but maybe my English is not as good.

> but decided
> that was too clever....)
EEET shares the string "EE" with EET and EEST, in that regard it is
clever. Whether this is too clever depends on a definition what is
regarded to be too clever to be used in the tz database, a definition
I cannot find in Theory.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18