[tz] Samoa error in backward file

Zefram zefram at fysh.org
Sat Apr 7 18:12:04 UTC 2012

Timo K?hk?nen wrote:
>Backward file has two zones, which both link to Pacific/Pago_Pago.
>I'm not sure, but I assume that the record is wrong.

They are not wrong.  The two links exist for different reasons.
Pacific/Samoa is a current-style name, and is flawed due to ambiguity.
It therefore links to the now-preferred more specific name.  US/Samoa,
on the other hand, is a name from an older naming scheme.  We don't use
"US" as a top-level component any more.  All such names are now links.
Historically, US/Samoa referred to American Samoa.  When the new naming
scheme was introduced, presumably the zone was renamed to Pacific/Samoa,
with US/Samoa becoming a link to it.  Then when the ambiguity was
discovered, the zone was renamed to Pacific/Pogo_Pogo, and both of the
former names became links to it.

-zefram