[tz] Detecting a new release

enh enh at google.com
Fri Aug 3 19:18:06 UTC 2012

i switched Android's script from bash to python last month just to deal
with FTP more conveniently:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic/+/5d967e43d03e9c916548b9c290b0c4138df2f1f8

anyone who's looking for the three[-ish] lines of python can search for
'nlst' in this change:
https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic/+/5d967e43d03e9c916548b9c290b0c4138df2f1f8%5E!/#F0

does anyone have any good ideas about programmatically doing something
about verifying the PGP signatures?

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 7:28 AM, <Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2012, at 6:57 AM, Ian Abbott wrote:
>
> > On 2012-08-03 10:58, Neil Masson wrote:
> >> This might have been talked about recently, but I don't remember any
> >> resolution.
> >>
> >> I have a script which polls the IANA Website daily to detect if there
> >> has been any update.  It parses the html to find the latest version and
> >> then checks to see if the version has changed since the last time.  This
> >> solution is fragile and could easily be broken if the layout of the
> >> Website changes.
> >>
> >> I don't see any way of detecting the version from the ftp or rsync sites
> >> as the "real" filename which contains the version has been replaced with
> >> a link tzdata-latest.tar.gz.
> >
> > You could parse the output of lftp or ncftpls in long-listing mode: ...
>
> Or just look at the names of the tarballs to see if a new one showed up.
>  If you sort them lexicographically, ignoring any that have two-digit
> years, any new one is the last one in that list.
>
> I've been using that approach for a while now, it's about 3 lines of
> Python...
>
>         paul

NIO or JNI questions? Mail me/drop by/add me as a reviewer.