[tz] Detecting a new release

enh enh at google.com
Fri Aug 3 19:43:36 UTC 2012

On Fri, Aug 3, 2012 at 12:33 PM, <Paul_Koning at dell.com> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 2012, at 3:18 PM, enh wrote:
>
> > i switched Android's script from bash to python last month just to deal
> with FTP more conveniently:
> >

> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic/+/5d967e43d03e9c916548b9c290b0c4138df2f1f8
> >
> > anyone who's looking for the three[-ish] lines of python can search for
> 'nlst' in this change:
> https://android.googlesource.com/platform/bionic/+/5d967e43d03e9c916548b9c290b0c4138df2f1f8%5E!/#F0
>
> Cool.
>
> I don't think you need to retrieve intermediate files, if you're several
> files behind.  Everything is cumulative, so the latest is always sufficient.

i do that for my own benefit, so when people want to know when we last
updated some particular zone, i can go through the check-in comments to
find out. (sure, a real tool would be better, and checking in the
corresponding non-compiled tzdata source files might be a good idea too,
but in the absence of that...)

> > does anyone have any good ideas about programmatically doing something
> about verifying the PGP signatures?
>
> There's python-gnupg and pypgp, both of which look like wrappers around
> the command line tool.  You can do likewise with the Subprocess module, of
> course.
>
> Presumably it could be done with pycrypto, I'm not sure if anyone has
> already done the legwork.  It's probably not hard, but pycrypto is a crypto
> API, so doing PGP things would mean some extra code on top of that basic
> API to do the PGP specific processing.

i don't seem to have any of those in my python installation so i'm probably
stuck with Subprocess.