No subject

Sat Feb 25 02:52:01 UTC 2012

To: bostic at okeeffe.berkeley.edu,
ncifcrf!bootme.auspex.com!guy

Subject: Re:  machine independence

> Speaking of
"the original ... work", how did this all get started,

> anyway?

The ultimate
impetus was the legislation that changed the start of U. S.

Daylight Saving Time
from the last Sunday in April to the first Sunday in April.

The proximate
impetus was a mod.std.unix discussion on the subject.

I've attached some of the
early electronic mail.  By 1/11/86 the format

looked much as it does today.  The
"hard part" not dealt with in the 1/13/86

"distribution" was the
text-format-to-binary-format converter (today's zic).

--ado

> From ado Mon Jan  6 10:28:48 1986

> To: cbosgd!mark

> Subject: Daylight
Savings Time

> Cc: seismo!philabs!linus!encore!necis!geo

> Well,
I'll admit that my first reaction to the idea of something on the order

> of
"/etc/dstcap" was a smiley face.  But over the weekend I thought about the

matter some more.  The result of the thinking was a sheet of paper with this

on it:

> > eastern:\

> > 	:st=EST:\

> > 	:dt=EDT:\

> > 	:os=-21000:\

> Now regardless of the way the above information is encoded, the questions
are:

> Is there enough information present above to deal with the various

Daylight Saving Time schemes that currently exist?  Would the information be

enough to deal with anything that US (or foreign) legislators are likely

dream up?  Or does one *really* need to have something on the order of

"/etc/dstinfo" (with a stack and arithmetic and such)?

--ado

> >From cbosgd!cbpavo.cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!mark  Fri Jan 10 16:19:08 1986
remote from seismo

Fri, 10 Jan 86 16:05:29 EST

> 	by cbosgd.ATT.UUCP (4.12/UUCP-Project/11.09.85)

id AA17523; Fri, 10 Jan 86 15:04:29 est

(4.24/3.14)

> 	id AA03218; Fri, 10 Jan 86 15:04:20 est

> Date: Fri, 10 Jan 86
15:04:20 est

> From: seismo!cbpavo.cbosgd.ATT.UUCP!mark (Mark Horton)

> To: elsie!ado,
harvard!encore!encore!necis!geo

> Subject: Re:  Daylight Savings Time

> While
I like your semantics, the format is horrible.  I'd much

> prefer to see each
year (or year range) in one place rather

> than have it scattered over 14
different days of the week.

> The format has to be something the average
non-guru can understand.

> Termcap is a bit much for such people.  Something
easy like

> Year	Key	Parm	Time	GMT offset

> 1970	3-sun
4	0200	-0400

> 1970	3-sun	10	0200	-0500

> 1971	3-sun
4	0200	-0400

> 1971	3-sun	10	0200	-0500

> 1972	3-sun
4	0200	-0400

> 1972	3-sun	10	0200	-0500

> 1973	3-sun
4	0200	-0400

> 1973	3-sun	10	0200	-0500

> 1974	julian
120	0200	-0400

> 1974	julian	306	0200	-0500

> 1975	julian
0	0200	-0400

> 1975	julian	366	0200	-0500

> 1976	3-sun
4	0200	-0400

> 1976	3-sun	10	0200	-0500

> This could
probably be translated into a handy binary format for ctime

> to use quickly.
The parm is either the month number (for things like

> "3rd Sunday") or the
Julian date on which to make the change.  The

> above numbers are probably all
wrong but you get the idea.  You could

> have any number of changes in a year,
although 2 would be common.

> 	Mark

> From ado Sat Jan 11 12:42:16
1986

> To: cbosgd!mark

> Subject: DST

> An alternate approach to
allow for multiple time zones.  Make the rules look

> like:

> 	Rule
Year(s)	Month	Day		Time	ST offset	String

> 	MostUS
-1973	Apr	last-Sun	2:00	1:00		D

> 	MostUS	-1973
Oct	last-Sun	2:00	0		S

> 	MostUS	1974	Jan
last-Sun	2:00	1:00		D

> 	MostUS	1974	Nov	last-Sun
2:00	0		S

> 	MostUS	1975	Feb	last-Sun	2:00
1:00		D

> 	MostUS	1975	Oct	last-Sun	2:00	0

> 	MostUS	1976-	Apr	last-Sun	2:00	1:00		D

MostUS	1976-	Oct	last-Sun	2:00	0		S

> 	Patron
1969-	Apr	last-Sun	2:00	1:00		D

> 	Patron	1969-
Jul	last-Sun	2:00	2:00		DD

> 	Patron	1969-	Aug
last-Sun	2:00	1:00		D

> 	Patron	1969-	Oct	last-Sun
2:00	0		S

> and the Time Zone information look like

Name		GMT offset	Rule		Abbreviation

> 	Eastern
-5:00		MostUS		E%sT

> 	Central		-6:00		MostUS
C%sT

> 	Pacific		-8:00		MostUS		P%sT

> 	Alaskan
?		MostUS		A%sT

> 	Hawaiian	?		MostUS
H%sT

> 	Patronian	?		Patron		P%sT

--ado

> From ado Mon Jan 13 21:04:01 1986

> To: cbosgd!mark

> Subject: The easy
part of ctime()

> The next letter from me should be a shell
archive containing five files:

> 	Makefile

> 	timezone.h

ctime.c