[tz] Chilean Government annuounced new date for leaving and entering DST in 2012

Glenn Eychaner geychaner at lco.cl
Thu Feb 23 14:18:00 UTC 2012

And here we go.  The diff file is attached to the document.  Here is a complete, though loose, English translation, as best I can do:

The measure, which replicates the scheme adopted the previous year, establishes that winter time starts at midnight on Saturday 28 April, and summer time starts at midnight on Saturday 1 September.

Santiago, 22 Feb, the Ministries of the Interior and Public Safety and of Energy, communicate to the public the following:

1. Due to considerations of energy savings, citizen safety, and more modern policies, in 2011 the govenment implemented a pilot plan designed to shorten the traditional winter time applied in our country.  This was realized by delaying the start of winter time from March to May, and moving up the start of summer time from October to the third week of August.

2. The measure was evaluated during the second half of 2011 by the Ministry of Energy and others, who reached preliminary conclusions that justify maintaining the measure for 2012.

3. Some reasons for adoping this decision are:

a. Background studies provided by the National Traffic Safety Commision show evidence of a decrease in traffic accidents.

b. Evaluations of energy consumption show a decrease of 0.4 to 0.7% in residential consumption.

c. The Crime analysis and Strategy Center made an analysis which, while not conclusive, shows that the change contributed to a decrease in crime due to the better lighting produced by the change.

d. Studies of public opinion show that 60% of the population agrees with eliminating or reducing winter time.

4. Due to these studies, the government has decided to implement a reduced winter time in 2012, favoring summer time, in order to find more data that will allow adoption fo this measure or anotheri n 2013.

5. Before last year, our country had a system of seven months of winter time and five of summer.  This is opposite the more modern tendencies that favor activities with natural light, so the government decided to invert the system, with four months of winter time and eight of summer.

6. [Translated in the patch.]

7. En the next few days, the decree which vadlidates this decision will be given to the Controller for his review, processing, and publication.