[tz] Creston

Philip Newton philip.newton at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 13:57:41 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 14:50, Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Feb 2012, Robert Elz wrote:
>>
>>   Date:        Mon, 27 Feb 2012 12:11:53 +0200
>>   From:        Alan Barrett <apb at cequrux.com>
>>
>>  | That article seems clear enough that Creston has been at -07:00
>>  | since June 1918, but it's not very clear when transitions occured
>>  | back and forth between PDT (-08:00 standard offset, plus 01:00 DST
>>  | adjustment) and MST (-07:00 standard offset, no DST adjustment).
>>
>> Since I have zero regard for tz abbreviations in any case (aside from the
>> need to retain the API), I personally think that doesn't matter in the
>> slightest (and nor do I gather it ever mattered to the people concerned).
>
> I always considered "is DST in effect, and if so, what is the offset from
> standard time" to be an important question, even if the abbreviation is not
> important.  But I agree that it doesn't seem to have mattered to the people
> in Creston at the time, so it's probably fine if the tz database doesn't
> worry about it.

I'm reminded of the case of the Nunavut community which had a fixed
offset from UTC and considered themselves to belong to one time zone
for part of the year and to another timezone for the remainder. (I
believe that one rationale for thinking like this was TV schedules
which are in terms of time zones rather than offset from GMT, so they
had to know whether their 12:00 was 12:00 MDT or 12:00 CST, or
whatever the two zones were.)

How did we handle that case?

Cheers,
Philip