[tz] Posix time zone question

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Tue Jan 17 09:47:29 UTC 2012

On 16/01/12 23:22, Petr Machata wrote:
> I seem to recall that identical zones are hardlinked, so having two (or
> several) files like that only has an overhead of one inode.  At least on
> Linux, I don't know how AIX works in this regard.

Nit picking: making a hard link to a file creates a directory entry and
increments the link count in the inode so the overhead is a directory
entry.   Another way to think of this is that a file is defined by its
inode and it has zero or more names: each name is a directory entry that
maps the name to the inode number and the number of names is link count
in the inode.   I can't imagine that AIX would be any different to any
other Unix in this regard.

jch