[tz] unofficial tz repository on github

Kim Davies kim.davies at icann.org
Thu Jul 19 18:39:53 UTC 2012

On Jul 19, 2012, at 1:11 AM, Dirkjan Ochtman <dirkjan at ochtman.nl> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 10:07 AM, Paul Eggert <eggert at cs.ucla.edu> wrote:
>> I don't intend to set up a competing public repository, no.
>> The IANA's repository is private and there are no plans to change this.
>> The IANA's public distribution will continue to be the "canonical" one.
>
> But the IANA repository is git, too? Can you elaborate on why it's private?

The short answer is, the RFC didn't call for it, and in our discussions when we were transferring the repository to ICANN the idea never came up, so we haven't implemented it.

The more useful answer is Paul recently raised the idea of a public git repository privately. I am certainly interested in the idea, but as there is not currently a public IANA git service, it is not something we have readily available. To launch a non-experimental production service to do this would mean identifying the exact requirements, obtaining agreement, setting it up, testing, and rolling it out. I imagine a bare minimum approach (i.e. publishing it as a read-only repository via HTTP) is probably relatively straightforward, but it could get more complex if there are other requirements.

kim