[tz] technical details for today's code and data release

Paul Eggert eggert at cs.ucla.edu
Wed Jul 25 15:04:04 UTC 2012

On 07/20/2012 10:45 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

> I would tend to use
> tzcode/AAAAb and tzdata/CCCCd for the tags.

What is the advantage of using a slash in the tags?  Sorry, I don't
know the details of tagging in git; I tend to not use tags myself.

> I would just make two tags, one for tzcode and one for tzdata.  They
> will probably frequently come in pairs, but that's fine.

Someone else (I forgot who, sorry) said that there is really just
one version number, not two, so therefore there are gaps in one
or the other versions' numbering.  For example, there was no
tzcode2011h release because the code didn't change between 2011g
and 2011h.

In that case, I messed up with the latest release, since I thought
that the code and data version numbers were independent.  I'll send
a proposed patch to the mailing list shortly (PATCH 4/4) to switch
back to a single version number, so that the next releases are 2012e
for both code and data.

This would also suggest that we have just one set of tags in the
repository, tz/2012e or tz2012e say, depending on whether that
slash is helpful.