[tz] technical details for today's code and data release

Russ Allbery rra at stanford.edu
Wed Jul 25 16:50:33 UTC 2012

Derick Rethans <tz at derickrethans.nl> writes:
> On Wed, 25 Jul 2012, Paul Eggert wrote:
>> On 07/20/2012 10:45 AM, Russ Allbery wrote:

>>> I would tend to use
>>> tzcode/AAAAb and tzdata/CCCCd for the tags.

>> What is the advantage of using a slash in the tags?  Sorry, I don't
>> know the details of tagging in git; I tend to not use tags myself.

> Tags are just freeform descriptors, and have no real special meaning.

Right.  I use slashes in tags to create namespaces when there are multiple
types of tags happening in the same repository, since everyone is used to
slash as a directory separator creating namespaces for files.  So, for
example, a repository in which I do both upstream development and Debian
packaging has a set of release/* tags for the upstream releases and
debian/* tags that correspond to the Debian packages.

It's just a (somewhat arbitrary) convention.

>> This would also suggest that we have just one set of tags in the
>> repository, tz/2012e or tz2012e say, depending on whether that
>> slash is helpful.

> The / has no advantage in this case. It would say that it would just
> make it more annoying to deal with f.e. in case you want to use a
> directory for each tag (with / being the directory separator).

Yes, once you only have one set of tags, you no longer have multiple tags
that you want to put into distinguished namespaces, so there's no need for
the slash.