[tz] Idea for internationalized time point unique time zone abbreviations

Ian Abbott abbotti at mev.co.uk
Wed Jun 6 15:51:50 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-06 16:35, Boruch Baum wrote:
> - From my perspective, it would be best if nl_langinfo would be extended
> to include timezone names and abbreviations. That would make it
> trivial to write code that would portable across all locales, and
> would be able to auto-magically accept timezone names and
> abbreviations in the user's selected locale.
>
> Of course, nl_langinfo just picks up data from locale definition
> files, so this still would mean each locale having a complete set of
> entries for each timezone name and abbreviation (just as each dos now
> month names, days of week).

I guess the main problem here is that the week-day names and month names
(in the Gregorian/Julian calendar system) are known internally by glibc,
whereas timezone names and abbreviations are external to glibc (and are
also a bit of a moving target).

--
-=( Ian Abbott @ MEV Ltd.    E-mail: <abbotti at mev.co.uk>        )=-
-=( Tel: +44 (0)161 477 1898   FAX: +44 (0)161 718 3587         )=-