[tz] Chilean Government annuounced new date for leaving and entering DST in 2012

Robert Elz kre at munnari.OZ.AU
Thu Mar 1 17:33:00 UTC 2012

    Date:        Thu, 1 Mar 2012 12:45:16 -0300
    From:        Glenn Eychaner <geychaner at lco.cl>

  | Incidentally, a style question: why use the "Apr Sun >= 23" notation
  | for changes that affect only a single year, rather than just specifying
  | the exact date (e.g. "Apr 29"),

I don't recall any specific policy on this - personally I would mostly
use the explicit date for any case where it's known for sure that the
rule applies to only one year, but where it is possible that it might
be extended then the algorithmic form can make it easier to see that
multiple years can in fact be expressed in one rule - so if next year
they decide Apr 28 is the magic date, then we could just use the same
rule and have it apply to multiple years, rather than building a long
list of one year only cases.

My only other policy would be to not make meaningless changes that cause
churn in the source files but change nothing - so now the rule is written
the way it is, it will most probably remain that way, even if next year
the "last Sunday in April" strategy isn't adopted.

kre