[tz] Nagorno-Karabakh abolishing Daylight Saving Time

Alexander Krivenyshev worldtimezone at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 27 04:23:11 UTC 2012

Petr Machata <pmachata <at> redhat.com> writes:

> Alexander Krivenyshev <worldtimezone <at> yahoo.com> writes:
>
> > For example, although Armenia government cancelled DST this year but
> > it seems nobody (or not many) knows anything about it ???
> >
> > here is blog from Armenia:
> > Google and Ubuntu rule in Armenia or the chaos of the summer time:
> > http://blognews.am/rus/news/4185/google-и-ubuntu-рулят-в-армении-или-хаос-с-
> > летним-временем.html
>
> (I'm not native speaker of Russian, and I may have missed some nuance.
> Correct me if I'm wrong.)
>
> The blog reads:
> >> В Армении правительство отказалось от перехода на
> летнее время [...]
> >> Так вот - как оказалось - об этом никто не был в курсе -
> >> практически. Ночью в 2 часа неожиданно все дивайсы
> начали идти на час
> >> вперед.  Практически все - не считая прибытых к стене часов.
>
> Or:
> >> Government of Armenia canceled the transition to Summer Time.  [...]
> >> So, as it turned out, practically nobody knew about it.  At 2 in the
> >> morning, all devices unexpectedly moved an hour ahead.  Practically
> >> all of them -- except for clocks on walls."
>
> Meaning, in my opinion, that those devices didn't get updated, and are
> now on Summer time, an hour ahead of people's wall clock times.  He
> mentions Linux distributions as an exception from this rule, citing
> Ubuntu in particular; on my side, I can confirm that updates were pushed
> to all supported releases of Fedora and Red Hat Enterprise Linux.
>
> Further down he explicitly mentions:
> >> Windows - тупо меняет время
>
> Or:
> >> Windows - stupidly changes time
>
> In my opinion, this supports the theory that the time change was not
> expected by people, but was in fact delivered by computers.
>
> Thanks,
> PM

Same things have happened in Russia, according to news,

http://www.segodnya.ua/news/14351614.html
http://www.sostav.ua/news/2012/03/26/51/48068/

"In Russia, the phone switched to daylight saving time, which Medvedev canceled.
The problem is most affected by smartphone owners with outdated operating
systems."

or

"In Russia, smart phones and computers automatically switched to "summer time"
Despite the cancellation of the transition to "summer time", mobile phones and
computers in Russia wrongly switched to "summer time".

Alexander Krivenyshev- WorldTimeZone.com
http://www.worldtimezone.com