[tz] Bugs in Russia - Seven month past since 2011-09-17 - still not fixed

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Thu May 3 03:26:09 UTC 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 5:15 PM, Clive D.W. Feather <clive at davros.org> wrote:
> Tobias Conradi said:
>>> I'm with Alan, I've read the messages a few times now, and I don't
>>> have the vaguest idea what was requested to be changed,
>> Not sure, what is not to be understand with:
>>
>> "Suggested new zone:
>> Asia/Barnaul, split from Asia/Omsk"
>>
>> >or why.
>> "Moves to Omsk Time"
>> ..
>> 1995-05-28 Altai Krai, Altai Oblast
>
> If the zone is split from the Omsk zone, then on 1995-05-28 it was already
> on Omsk time.
Depends on definition of "split". I applied the term purely to the
current geographical mapping. The Altais are wrongly attached to
Asia/Omsk.

>> FIX: oblast should be Republic.
>
> If there's a new zone, then that fix can be made. Or the change can be made
> in the existing zone.
This fix only is related to my wrong proposal.

>> If not on the fly, it should be specified in the Theory file, so that
>> contributors are warned that their fixes may not be added for 7+
>> months if they don't affect current time stamps.
>
> I think you mean "... their fixes may not be added for 7+ months if nobody
> else can understand what they're asking to be changed".
No, I don't mean that.

>>> - determining which zone someone should use to get the correct
>>> timestamp translations is not our problem
>> I think you are misinformed again.
>
> No, I think you are.
A tz database is of low value if users cannot map geographical areas
to the zones in the database.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18