[tz] proposed changes: past Altai/Tomsk time zone shifts

Tobias Conradi tobias.conradi at gmail.com
Sat May 5 02:11:55 UTC 2012

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 8:00 PM, Robert Elz <kre at munnari.oz.au> wrote:
>    Date:        Fri, 4 May 2012 18:43:02 +0200
>    From:        Tobias Conradi <tobias.conradi at gmail.com>
>
>  | > So, what is the effect
>  | > if we put it into the wrong timezone?
>  | The database would contain a bug according to tzcode2011i/Theory:
>
> No, not necessarily
Putting something into the wrong timezone is by definition having a
bug in the TIMEZONE database.

> - it doesn't really matter if we guess incorrectly
> what time conversion happens at some particular place, only if there is
> no zone that represents the correct conversions for some place or other.
???

> Note the theory file (which we could adjust if we ever needed to incidentally)
> just says that the world is partitioned into regions, not that this
> project is attempting to specify the boundaries of those regions.
There are not only attempts of doing so but successful definitions of
boundaries.

>  Nor
> does it say that the regions must be connected,
????

>or anything much about them,
> other than that they exist.
>
> For the islands in question, provided that we have some zone defined that
> correctly represents the time conversions used there, then we have no bug
> worth worrying much about.
If that would be true, the project wouldn't exist in that form.
Because anyone could write down all offsets with full seconds from 0
second to e.g. 30 * 60 * 60, assign names to them and would be
finished. Because there would be always some zone that has the
definition.

> If the comments in the zone file are wrong,
> we should certainly fix them sometime,
Now you change your opinion?

> but there's no great urgency to
> do that - they have no real importance and are generally only ever even
> seen by the people on this list
Any prove that all the view at
http://stats.grok.se/en/201204/List_of_tz_database_time_zones
are from list members?

>(no-one else is really very likely to
> read through all of that stuff - zic certainly doesn't care.)
I read the comments before I was a list member.

It would be nice if you could bring more evidence for all the claims
you make on this list here.

--
Tobias Conradi
Rheinsberger Str. 18