[tz] Notification of new releases only

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue May 8 18:13:26 UTC 2012

On May 8, 2012, at 10:57 AM, James Diebel wrote:

> I'm a user of the tz database, but not a contributor.  I would like to receive notification of when a new release has been issued, but without receiving the messages between contributors debating the merits of various proposed changes.  Is there a way to configure my mailing list subscription to only receive release notifications?

The mailing list doesn't have any inherent notion of "release notification" mail vs. other mail, so, no, there isn't a way to configure the subscription to do that.

> If this is not possible, perhaps the subject line of a message announcing a new release could always contain some keywords so that I could write a mail filter to archive non-release-announcement messages?

Currently, that's not the case, although if you look for messages containing "code20" or "data20" in the subject line, that would probably filter out many - but not all - of the non-release-announcement messages (it would not filter out discussions in followup messages unless the subject line is changed).

> And do such new release announcements always come from the same person?  That would also help.

I'm guessing that, in the future, they'll come from Paul Eggert (I think there was pretty much a groundswell of "yes" in response to the proposal that he take over).

However, we might want to consider having a separate tz-announce mailing list, for new release announcements (and perhaps other announcements), and perhaps use Reply-To to redirect responses to the tz list.