[tz] Comments and mapping of tz zones to the real world

David Zülke david.zuelke at bitextender.com
Tue May 8 18:16:30 UTC 2012

On 08.05.2012, at 19:28, Tobias Conradi wrote:

> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 9:51 AM, Wallace, Malcolm <Malcolm.Wallace at sc.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Who is we?
>>>
>>> This does not apply to what the IANA hosted tzdb project does. Do you
>>> have a mailing list for your tzdb project?
>>>
>>> Also it seems the Elz tzdb is much less known than the IANA / Olson
>>> tzdb.
>>
>> I believe, when Robert says "we",
> Believe doesn't help.

What kind of tone is this anyway?

>> he probably means himself, Arthur
>> Olson, and Paul Eggert, who together have recently been the official
>> maintainers of the IANA/Olson tzdb.
> I see no indication on the mailing list that Robert Elz is the
> spokesperson for Arthur David Olson.

He's one of the official maintainers. If you have a problem with that, you can fork the database into your own project as permitted by the license. Good luck with that though...

>> in a manner that often comes across as rude and offensive.
> That is your interpretation.

That is not his interpretation, that is very likely the interpretation by the vast majority of people on this list. Stop being aggressive. Stop being abrasive. Stop being condescending. Start saying "please", start saying "thank you", start being friendly. Stop interpreting the subtle and polite bits of feedback you have received regarding your behavior as personal attacks, and start treating them as hints on how to improve your communication style.

>> If you can manage both to be more polite whilst asking questions,
> Be polite whilst asking a question? You mean I should smile in front
> of my computer screen?

If you don't know what he means, please get help in form of coaching on matters of etiquette, manners and social norms.

>>  But if you persist with your
>> current abrasive approach,
> What do you think is my "current abrasive approach"? Can you show to
> the list members some examples?

Nobody needs examples, Tobias. Everyone except you knows what he is talking about. It's the same kind of behavior that got you banned from Wikipedia (both de and en). Most of your feedback here is certainly valuable, but the way you get it across is, at best, counter-productive.

Let me know if you'd like any specific pointers to what he might be referring to by "abrasive" off-list. I'll be happy to point them out if that helps you in the matter.

David