[tz] zone.tab comments Canada - places -> locations

John Haxby john.haxby at oracle.com
Thu May 10 12:21:16 UTC 2012

On 10/05/12 05:06, Tobias Conradi wrote:
> Current:
> tzdata2012c/zone.tab
> America/Halifax	Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia (most places), PEI
> America/Glace_Bay	Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia - places that did not
> observe DST 1966-1971
> America/Nipigon	Eastern Time - Ontario & Quebec - places that did not
> observe DST 1967-1973
>
> Proposed:
> America/Halifax	Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia (most locations), PEI
> America/Glace_Bay	Atlantic Time - Nova Scotia - locations that did not
> observe DST 1966-1971
> America/Nipigon	Eastern Time - Ontario & Quebec - locations that did
> not observe DST 1967-1973
>
> Reason:
> Harmonize.
>
> Theory uses "locations" (9x) more often than "places" (2x)
>
> zone.tab uses "place" only thrice, namely within the comments field of
> the three above zone for Canada.
>
> zone.tab uses "location" more than 20x.

No.   A native English speaker (like me) would not swap "place" for
"location" here unless you meant specific points within those regions.
You might say "locales" instead of "places" but that would be odd as
that meaning of locale is confusing if you're anywhere near anything to
do with computers.

One could argue that there is a case for simplifying sentences and
language, but that would generally avoid choosing shorter, simpler words
(place) over longer ones (location).  I don't see any need for this though.

jch