[tz] Terminology mismatch in tzcode file format manpage / header

Andrew Paprocki andrew at ishiboo.com
Fri May 18 01:31:10 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 7:10 PM, Steve Allen <sla at ucolick.org> wrote:
> Given the unclear outcome of the ITU-R process I recommend stability
> rather than change for this issue, at least until the outcomes from
> RA-15 and WRC-15 are known.

I was under the impression WRC-12 was discussing a proposal to
eliminate leap seconds, redefining UTC, and that is what was tabled to
the WRC-15 agenda.

Potential changes to the UTC standard do not seem relevant when
discussing the use of both "GMT" and "UTC" in the same definition of a
field in the tz file format.

Theory states:
To represent this data, the world is partitioned into regions whose
clocks all agree about time stamps that occur after the
somewhat-arbitrary cutoff point of the POSIX Epoch (1970-01-01
00:00:00 UTC).  For each such region, the database records all known
clock transitions, and labels the region with a notable location.

This implies to me that "utc" should be used in the field name, to
match the existing definition next to it which states "UTC".

-Andrew